A kindergarten student with a freshly spiked Mohawk has been suspended from school.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23369157/
After reading many people's reactions to this story online, I figured I'd put my 2 cents in...
Even as a teacher, I can't begin to tell you how ludicrous I think this is. Conceiveably, they could use the excuse of distraction to ban whatever they wanted. Also, who gets to decide what is distracting??? Who was complaining about the haircut? Teacher? Other students? Are there documented incidents where they can prove this was a cause of distraction??? lol In this case of the kindergartener, if the parent enrolled him in a school with these strict rules, I think the mother should adhere to them---or leave as she is planning to do. With that being said...it is still ONLY hair!
I have a student with a mohawk. Big deal. I have never noticed it to be a distraction in my classroom! Furthermore, what a colorless environment that school must foster---where everyone should look exactly the same.
ROCK THAT MOHAWK, JOSH!!!
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








3 comments:
I want to drive to where they live and tell those teachers a little something about mohawk, and how they are used as weapons!
It makes me so mad when people judge other people by the way they look. Josh doesn't have a mean bone in his body, and he is a good student. I'm sure people look at him and think otherwise or think I am a bad parent. Now I would be a bad parent if I let him have a mullet. Haha Thanks for not judging my little guy. I am glad he likes to step out of the box and be differnt. Thats confidenece!
You are so right!!! I think taking the risk at being different despite how others may react, makes someone admirable to me...I despise judgment based on the way someone looks too! We come across that quite often with my husband and his tattoos! And, like Josh, he is the sweetest, big-hearted, down to earth person you'll ever meet!
Post a Comment