Monday, July 7, 2008

Margherita Pizza Monday! Yes, a WHOLE post about it!

I'm such a geek. I was craving a margherita pizza in the worst way. Which is funny because anyone who knows me knows that I hate RAW tomatoes by themselves--meaning I love salsa, spaghetti sauces, tabouli, pico de gallo etc! BUT if they are accidentally put on a salad or sandwich I CANNOT eat it--or just take it off--because of the tomato "juices". AGGGGHHHH!

You would think the margherita pizza would be the last type of pizza I would choose. It must be the yummy basil and "lightness" that makes me crave it! Yum! Joe wasn't complaining about me trying to replicate what he always orders when we go out. He got me into this pizza!

Today is Joe's day off so we went grocery shopping. We had lots to get--I've been putting it off. But all I was interested in was two things--ingredients for margherita pizza and homemade guacamole (which I will make tomorrow...hehehehe)!

The minute we unloaded all the stuff I got going on creating my masterpiece! :-) I hope it is good! Joe made me take a picture of it (before and after) cuz he thought it was so pretty! :-)

BEFORE

AFTER

P.S. It was YUMMY! I probably ate too much! I feel LESS guilty since I went to the gym today! :-) Drinking a nice Pacifico with a lime would make this absolutely PERFECT! No Pacifico beers in the house! I knew I forgot SOMETHING at the store!

Here is the recipe if you don't already know how to make it! :-) I am also using this as a way to document the recipe I created. Joe says it needs to be a staple in our household! Yippee!

Annie's Margherita Pizza!


1 prepared pizza crust (I use Kroger brand)
2-3 Tablespoons EVOO plus some extra for drizzling
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzerella cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan (I shredded some parmigiano reggiano)
4 tomatoes sliced thinly (I used ones on the vine)
1/2 cup fresh basil, cut into thin slices
pinch of kosher salt
pepper
nonstick spray

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Spray a baking pan/sheet with nonstick spray.

3. Unroll dough, lay out, and press with hands to the edge of the pan.

4. Mix the garlic and oil and brush the dough with the mixture. I used that much garlic because I love garlic--but if you don't, you could leave it out or reduce the amount!

5. Sprinkle with kosher salt.

6. Bake the crust in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until it is set and dry.

7. Remove partially baked crust from oven and reduce the heat of your oven to about 300 degrees.

8. While you wait for the temp to go down, start topping it!

9. Mix the cheeses and spread them over the partially baked crust (leave a little to sprinkle on top at the end).

10. Arrange tomato slices over cheese. Drizzle with a little EVOO if you like :-) Remember there is no pizza sauce!

11. Sprinkle the basil on top to your liking. I like LOTS!

12. I drizzled even more EVOO on top before sprinkling with the last of the cheese. It is your preference!

13. Top with ground pepper!

14. Return pizza to the oven and cook for an additional 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown!

15. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

That looks so good. I'm going to try it! Thanks for including the recipe.

tsumomi said...

You are the next Rachel Ray. You go girl. It does look pretty. Marc took me to Pesto's pizza for the first time on Sunday. That is my new obsession.